Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Italian Flag Pesto Dip

originally posted Friday, March 21, 2008



Dip. It's what's for dinner. Er, whatever, but I can fill up on it, if it's good. I eat all day anyway, if I have my way, so a dip with dimensions and some good crunchy-type things to dip into it will always appeal to me as a snack food.
First of all, it's hella easier to make a dip than to top crostini, bruschetta, or other
fuori d'opera, individually (I want to take a language class at City College, but then again I wanna get my masters and maybe I could take language classes then, but like, when the hell does anybody have time to go to school and work in the 7X7?).
Plus, if you make a dip along the basic principle of, say, a seven-layer dip, keeping some of the ingredients separate and distinct from one another, you get a delightful plurality in your bite, bite after bite after bite after bite...
And when I'm working (such a
cursed blessing, work: gotta work, glad to have it, hate it, don't wanna do it, miss it when it goes away), I can eat while I work with relative convenience.
Regarding this recipe, I love the sweet cranberries alongside the savory whatever else, but they're optional, and I like a little heat, but the peppers are also optional. And you can also take out the salt and the garlic, and the herbs, and cheese, and go to McDonald's, they got double cheeseburgers for a buck. Get me one.
Oh the inanity! I do tend to go on.

Italian Flag Pesto Dip
1 oz fresh basil

1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
1/4 oz fresh mint leaves
1/4 bunch fresh parsley
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp sea salt
2 cups ricotta
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pesto alla genovese
1/2 cup sun-dried tomato pesto

Candied dried cranberries and pine nuts.
Combine the first 8 ingredients in a food processor or in a bowl with your hands. Drop a dollop of each of the pestos and the ricotta mixture and with simple movements swirl them with a rubber spat[ula]. Don't over mix it! You want it to look like Aquafresh toothpaste, 3 distinct wavy colors. Top it with the candied craisins and pinions. Eat it with crostini "chips" made from a baguette, ciabatta, focaccia, whathaveya.
Beware, you need some fiber in your diet, so don't eat dip dinners more than four or five times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment